PHOENIX — A shot caller for the Mexican Mafia, imprisoned for his involvement in the shooting of Glendale Police Officer Jeremy Esh, is facing numerous counts related to a prison-based drug trade.
“This investigation centered on one individual, who while incarcerated was in control of an illegal enterprise and conspired to murder those in rival gangs,” said Phoenix Police chief Daniel Garcia.
Angel Lopez Garcia, 35, faces 159 criminal counts. A grand jury indictment accuses him of being a validated member and leader within a large prison gang. He has gang-related ties dating back to 1995.
The document also charges Garcia with directing drug sales, extortion, fraud, money laundering and homicide while in federal and state prison, and accuses him of using other gang members and associates to facilitate these offenses.
Police also arrested Garcia’s wife, a Phoenix defense attorney, for her complicity.
Carmen Fischer Garcia, of Phoenix, who’s been practicing law in the Valley since the 1980s, faces 47 counts for her participation the drug trade.
Garcia’s mother, sister and ex-girlfriend were also arrested Friday after police served search warrants at the women’s homes.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee