PHOENIX — A shot caller for the Mexican Mafia, imprisoned for his involvement in the shooting of Glendale Police Officer Jeremy Esh, is facing numerous counts related to a prison-based drug trade.
“This investigation centered on one individual, who while incarcerated was in control of an illegal enterprise and conspired to murder those in rival gangs,” said Phoenix Police chief Daniel Garcia.
Angel Lopez Garcia, 35, faces 159 criminal counts. A grand jury indictment accuses him of being a validated member and leader within a large prison gang. He has gang-related ties dating back to 1995.
The document also charges Garcia with directing drug sales, extortion, fraud, money laundering and homicide while in federal and state prison, and accuses him of using other gang members and associates to facilitate these offenses.
Police also arrested Garcia’s wife, a Phoenix defense attorney, for her complicity.
Carmen Fischer Garcia, of Phoenix, who’s been practicing law in the Valley since the 1980s, faces 47 counts for her participation the drug trade.
Garcia’s mother, sister and ex-girlfriend were also arrested Friday after police served search warrants at the women’s homes.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development