PHOENIX — A shot caller for the Mexican Mafia, imprisoned for his involvement in the shooting of Glendale Police Officer Jeremy Esh, is facing numerous counts related to a prison-based drug trade.
“This investigation centered on one individual, who while incarcerated was in control of an illegal enterprise and conspired to murder those in rival gangs,” said Phoenix Police chief Daniel Garcia.
Angel Lopez Garcia, 35, faces 159 criminal counts. A grand jury indictment accuses him of being a validated member and leader within a large prison gang. He has gang-related ties dating back to 1995.
The document also charges Garcia with directing drug sales, extortion, fraud, money laundering and homicide while in federal and state prison, and accuses him of using other gang members and associates to facilitate these offenses.
Police also arrested Garcia’s wife, a Phoenix defense attorney, for her complicity.
Carmen Fischer Garcia, of Phoenix, who’s been practicing law in the Valley since the 1980s, faces 47 counts for her participation the drug trade.
Garcia’s mother, sister and ex-girlfriend were also arrested Friday after police served search warrants at the women’s homes.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain