PHOENIX — A shot caller for the Mexican Mafia, imprisoned for his involvement in the shooting of Glendale Police Officer Jeremy Esh, is facing numerous counts related to a prison-based drug trade.
“This investigation centered on one individual, who while incarcerated was in control of an illegal enterprise and conspired to murder those in rival gangs,” said Phoenix Police chief Daniel Garcia.
Angel Lopez Garcia, 35, faces 159 criminal counts. A grand jury indictment accuses him of being a validated member and leader within a large prison gang. He has gang-related ties dating back to 1995.
The document also charges Garcia with directing drug sales, extortion, fraud, money laundering and homicide while in federal and state prison, and accuses him of using other gang members and associates to facilitate these offenses.
Police also arrested Garcia’s wife, a Phoenix defense attorney, for her complicity.
Carmen Fischer Garcia, of Phoenix, who’s been practicing law in the Valley since the 1980s, faces 47 counts for her participation the drug trade.
Garcia’s mother, sister and ex-girlfriend were also arrested Friday after police served search warrants at the women’s homes.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered