TEMPE, Ariz. — Halloween has come early to Tempe this year.
The second annual Rapture Horror Expo has taken up residence at the DoubleTree Hotel, and this year, the convention has gotten even bigger.
The expo focuses on both horror and supernatural media and includes makeup workshops, costume contests, a fashion show, movie screenings, a late-night dance party and even a “Scream Queen” contest.
Celebrities are the biggest draw, and Rapture Horror Expo has drawn some of the most iconic names in horror.
The guest highlights of this year’s horror convention include Linda Blair from “The Exorcist,” “The Original Ladies of the Living Dead,” featuring Judith O’Dea and Judith Ridley from George Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead” and actor Sid Haig from “House of 1,000 Corpses,” which will also be screened at midnight tonight, in honor of its 10th anniversary.
Other featured guests include Danielle Harris from the “Halloween” franchise, John Dugan from “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” John Kassir, voice of “The Crypt Keeper,” Fred Williamson from “From Dusk Till Dawn” and Theodus Crane from “The Walking Dead.”
In addition to celebrity guests and artists, the lobby of the hotel is dedicated to local acts and charities, such as the Arizona Hive of the Umbrella Corporation, made popular by the “Resident Evil” franchise.
“The Arizona Hive is a non-profit cosplay (costume play) for charity group and all our proceeds go to the Arizona Animal Welfare League,” explained Angus Schultz, 26, of Mesa.
And what would a horror convention be without lots of blood? The expo is also holding a blood drive on site, benefiting United Blood Services.
The expo runs until 7 p.m. Sunday.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy