PHOENIX — “The Force” is strong at one Phoenix library.
On Saturday, the Rebel Alliance and Imperial Forces came from all across the galaxy to set aside their differences for one, united purpose: A “Star Wars Reads Day” at Burton Barr Central Library.
Lucasfilm began the event last year to get kids excited about reading. More than 30 authors and 1,500 costumed volunteers took part in 1,200 events all over North America.
Saturday marks the first time, however, that the Phoenix Public Library system has participated in the event.
But just like the Battle of Endor or the destruction of the Death Star, the library enlisted some help to pull off the big celebration.
“Bookman’s (Entertainment Exchange) contributed raffle prizes and the photo booth, and Samurai Comics donated some prizes, as well,” said Kelly Pearson, Literacy Outreach Librarian. “Friends of Phoenix Public Library paid for the free books and (Arizona Republic’s) Seasons of Sharing paid for all the supplies we used today.”
‘Star Wars’ fan and duelist Michael Whyman, 35, even brought his golf bag full of actual lightsabers for the kids to play with.
More than 330 kids and adults participated in the library’s event, which included an obstacle course, drawing and coloring stations, a balloon artist and storytime.
“It was absolutely a success. I think everyone had fun,” Pearson said. “We got to share some literacy tips with the parents, and hopefully they can go home and do activities like this with their kids.
“And having Darth Vader here never hurts, too.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier