PHOENIX — “The Force” is strong at one Phoenix library.
On Saturday, the Rebel Alliance and Imperial Forces came from all across the galaxy to set aside their differences for one, united purpose: A “Star Wars Reads Day” at Burton Barr Central Library.
Lucasfilm began the event last year to get kids excited about reading. More than 30 authors and 1,500 costumed volunteers took part in 1,200 events all over North America.
Saturday marks the first time, however, that the Phoenix Public Library system has participated in the event.
But just like the Battle of Endor or the destruction of the Death Star, the library enlisted some help to pull off the big celebration.
“Bookman’s (Entertainment Exchange) contributed raffle prizes and the photo booth, and Samurai Comics donated some prizes, as well,” said Kelly Pearson, Literacy Outreach Librarian. “Friends of Phoenix Public Library paid for the free books and (Arizona Republic’s) Seasons of Sharing paid for all the supplies we used today.”
‘Star Wars’ fan and duelist Michael Whyman, 35, even brought his golf bag full of actual lightsabers for the kids to play with.
More than 330 kids and adults participated in the library’s event, which included an obstacle course, drawing and coloring stations, a balloon artist and storytime.
“It was absolutely a success. I think everyone had fun,” Pearson said. “We got to share some literacy tips with the parents, and hopefully they can go home and do activities like this with their kids.
“And having Darth Vader here never hurts, too.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon