PHOENIX — The closure of the Grand Canyon National Park is hammering the economies of Tusayan, Page, Williams and others that rely on tourism as their lifeblood.
Arizona House Speaker Andy Tobin said the state — along with private donations — could foot the $500,000 cost that it would take to reopen the canyon through the month of October but the federal government won’t consider it.
“We’d like to step in and get the Grand Canyon reopened. This is critical to Arizona’s economy and they’re refusing to take private or public dollars.”
Tobin also lashed out at Senate Democrats and President Barack Obama.
“They’re more interested in keeping Obamacare than opening up our parks,” he said. “The message is loud and clear and I can’t understand how they can do this to a state. I mean really? For one year we can’t get a reprieve from Obamacare? They’re holding our state hostage.”
Tobin said the impact of the closure isn’t limited to the communities surrounding the Grand Canyon. It has a ripple effect that could seriously dent Arizona’s economy just when it is coming back strong from the recession.
“People don’t just go to the Grand Canyon, they come to the Valley and other parts of the state,” he said. “I’m very nervous about this and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t. I live in rural Arizona and tourism is huge. I couldn’t be more disgusted. It’s one punch after another when it comes to Washington, D.C.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food