PHOENIX — The town of Tusayan has $350,000 ready to use in an effort to get the Grand Canyon National Park reopened.
Private donations totaled about $150,000 Friday morning and Mayor Greg Bryan said the town has authorized an expenditure of up to $200,000 to entice the National Park Service to change its mind about accepting funds to partially reopen the park.
During the 1995 government shutdown, then-Gov. Fife Symington used state resources and private donations to keep the Grand Canyon partially open. Vail is asking Gov. Brewer to do the same although it would take legislative approval to use state funds to reopen the park.
Bryan said Tusayan is losing more than $100,000 each day of the shutdown. The federal government said it cannot accept local, state or private funds for the park. That’s not going to stop Clarinda Vail with Red Feather Properties in Tusayan from trying.
“We feel the National Park Service is being used as a pawn and we don’t blame the local park representatives. We know this came from the top.”
Vail said she personally kicked in $25,000. A tearful Vail said the group is trying to give back to the Grand Canyon what it has provided Tusayan for so long.
“This is a once in a lifetime event for many visitors. It is painful to see the disappointment of foreign visitors that are being turned away after they’ve spent years of planning and paying for the trip.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon