PHOENIX — A sign at the entrance to Bearizona with a wolf sleeping reads “While Government Sleeps, We Keep Working.”
Bearizona Wildlife Park in Williams has become a busy tourist attraction since Grand Canyon National Park closed. Vanessa Stoffel with Bearizona said business has jumped by 25 percent this week but she knows this can’t last.
“Our fear is that, if the shutdown continues for another week or two, people will just wait until the Grand Canyon opens to come to this area,” she said.
Stoffel said the shutdown boosting their business isn’t cause for celebration: their neighbors to the north in Tusayan are losing tens of thousands of dollars each day of the shutdown.
“This is killing them. They’re an hour off of I-40 and it’s going to be felt more,” Stoffel said.
Meanwhile, Arizona Snowbowl is running chairlifts to the top of the San Francisco Peaks outside of Flagstaff. The Grand Canyon is visible from the sky lift. Adult tickets cost $15.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development