PHOENIX — A sign at the entrance to Bearizona with a wolf sleeping reads “While Government Sleeps, We Keep Working.”
Bearizona Wildlife Park in Williams has become a busy tourist attraction since Grand Canyon National Park closed. Vanessa Stoffel with Bearizona said business has jumped by 25 percent this week but she knows this can’t last.
“Our fear is that, if the shutdown continues for another week or two, people will just wait until the Grand Canyon opens to come to this area,” she said.
Stoffel said the shutdown boosting their business isn’t cause for celebration: their neighbors to the north in Tusayan are losing tens of thousands of dollars each day of the shutdown.
“This is killing them. They’re an hour off of I-40 and it’s going to be felt more,” Stoffel said.
Meanwhile, Arizona Snowbowl is running chairlifts to the top of the San Francisco Peaks outside of Flagstaff. The Grand Canyon is visible from the sky lift. Adult tickets cost $15.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier