PHOENIX — The federal government is shutdown, but it’s business as usual at the Arizona Department of Veteran’s Services.
Spokesman Dave Hampton says there will be a problem at the federal veteran’s office at 5 p.m. this afternoon, however.
“Their regional office in Phoenix is going to be shutting their doors to the public,” Hampton said.
That is going to affect Arizona’s Veteran’s Services Department.
“We have a number of veterans benefits counselors in the federal office,” said Hampton. “What we’re going to do is move those counselors to the Arizona State Veteran Home in Phoenix.”
The counselors help veterans apply for federal benefits. Hampton says they’ll be able to do their job despite being in temporary quarters.
“We have the computers, we have all of the technology, we can do everything we need to do in our temporary offices in the Veteran home in Phoenix, so that won’t be a problem,” Hampton said.
But things could get dicey later on.
“The problem is going to be down the road, if this continues for awhile with the feds, in that the VA may be shutting down more services as far as claims and benefits go,” Hampton said.
Meanwhile, all Veterans Medical Centers are open and unaffected by the shutdown.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas