PHOENIX — The federal government is shutdown, but it’s business as usual at the Arizona Department of Veteran’s Services.
Spokesman Dave Hampton says there will be a problem at the federal veteran’s office at 5 p.m. this afternoon, however.
“Their regional office in Phoenix is going to be shutting their doors to the public,” Hampton said.
That is going to affect Arizona’s Veteran’s Services Department.
“We have a number of veterans benefits counselors in the federal office,” said Hampton. “What we’re going to do is move those counselors to the Arizona State Veteran Home in Phoenix.”
The counselors help veterans apply for federal benefits. Hampton says they’ll be able to do their job despite being in temporary quarters.
“We have the computers, we have all of the technology, we can do everything we need to do in our temporary offices in the Veteran home in Phoenix, so that won’t be a problem,” Hampton said.
But things could get dicey later on.
“The problem is going to be down the road, if this continues for awhile with the feds, in that the VA may be shutting down more services as far as claims and benefits go,” Hampton said.
Meanwhile, all Veterans Medical Centers are open and unaffected by the shutdown.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night