PHOENIX — The federal government shutdown is hurting countless small businesses across the state that depend on the Grand Canyon National Park to make a living.
Arizona Grand Canyon Tours in Phoenix opened its doors in June and this month should have been kicking off primetime for carrying tourists from the Valley to the canyon.
“This is the nicer time for people visiting Phoenix because of the weather,” said Brett Jones with Arizona Grand Canyon Tours.
Jones said they run tours once each week to Bearizona and Route 66 in Williams and the Grand Canyon. Now they’re now taking tourists only to Bearizona but many tourists are left feeling they missed out on the canyon.
“Grand Canyon is the bucket list item,” he said. “They want to see it. We have great reviews on Bearizona but the Grand Canyon is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. We are hoping to offset the loss of the canyon tour with Bearizona but this is having a huge impact on our ability to market our signature tour, which is the Grand Canyon.”
Jones said many of his customers weren’t aware of the federal government shutdown and caught completely off-guard with the park shutdown.
“We had travelers from Wisconsin come in that had booked more than a month ago and obviously were disappointed.”
Jones said they have lost thousands of dollars this week and that number will pile up with each passing week of the park’s closure.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets