PHOENIX — Andrew Wilder with the governor’s office says it has looked into all options to reopen the Grand Canyon National Park and legally, it cannot be done.
The state looked at one option to see if the Arizona State Parks Department could loan or give the feds the dollars.
“We were informed by the Arizona Attorney General that we don’t have the legal authority to use monies for that purpose without authorization from the legislature,” Wilder said.
They have also been told by the Grand Canyon superintendent that the park will not accept money from the state or any other group to reopen the canyon.
“Third party money from the state or outside groups pooling together money can’t give the federal government money to fund park operations,” explained Wilder. “It won’t be accepted.”
Wilder says Gov. Brewer shares in the sentiment of wanting to see the park reopened.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon