High school, the rite of passage that most of us go through on the way to adulthood. Love it or hate it, we survived and are happy to move on, until our own children start high school, that is.
It's easy to assume that we know everything about high school since we lived through it. However, today's high school students face unique challenges, many of which they wish their parents understood better.
You may be out of formal schooling, but now it's time for Modern Day High School 101. Here are 10 things your high school student wishes you understood about her world.
- My social life is all online. I use Facebook like you do, but I also use Twitter, Instagram, Vine and Snapchat. You need to understand how I, and all my friends, are using this stuff.
- My online social life is not always healthy. Cyber-bullying is a real thing, and I'm faced with online nastiness everyday. My friends are “sexting”, too. Just thought you should know.
- I take tests, tests and more tests. My school life is a series of never-ending standardized tests. Add that to the SATs, ACTs and AP testing, and I'm spending a lot of time prepping for testing.
- Cutthroat competition is my normal. My car, my clothes and my friends determine where I fit in. I feel insane pressure to fit in, excel and get into a good college when I'm done. Sometimes everyone feels like a threat to my success.
- Sarcasm is my first language. My friends and I watch TV shows and movies where sarcastic characters seem hilarious. It spills over to my friendships, and I get my feelings hurt.
- I have the whole world open to me, and that's a little scary. Society is breaking down the barriers between groups, races and classes. I have tons of opportunities, but no idea what I want to do with my life. Yet.
- I really will die without my phone. All my friends really do have cell phones, and all of them really do text. All the time. I know you think I'm being dramatic, but this is how my generation communicates.
- My homework is out of control. I take a ton of classes each day, we have too much material to cover in one year and my teachers don't coordinate homework assignments. Sometimes I get buried.
- I'm still figuring out responsibility. Most of my friends have a lot of freedom, and “traditional” families are pretty rare. I screw things up. I make mistakes, and I need your help making good decisions.
- I know that things really aren't that different, but I'm living my own life. I know you dealt with peer pressure and drinking and sex in high school, but you aren't living my life. I want your advice (even when I don't act like it), and sometimes your stories are pretty funny. However, I need you to realize that my drama is a big deal to me. Don't put me down just because you've been there and done that.
The best thing we can give our high-school aged kids is time. They push us away and act like they don't care, but they need to know someone has their back — unconditionally. High school is a time to grow up and screw up. These kids are figuring out who they are and what they're all about.
It may not feel like it, but you do matter. Your high school kid really does want you to know what's happening in his life. Make yourself available and your kid may surprise you with openness and honesty.
Heather Hale is a fourth-generation Montanan, mom to two crazy boys, and wife to one amazing husband. You can learn more about her eco-conscious lifestyle at moderatelycrunchy.com.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments