PHOENIX — The recent announcement of a proposed expansion of Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall has indie movie fans in the Valley worried about the future of Harkins Camelview 5 theater.
The mall has submitted a formal request to the city for almost 142,000 additional square feet for development to be completed possibly within the next two years.
A 12-14 screen theater could be in the works for the site but that isn’t of much comfort to Arizona State University student Peter Northfelt, an arthouse movie fan. He isn’t going to stand idly by and watch the place go down.
He authored an online petition at change.org to save the theater and has already drawn 2,000 or so signatures.
The five-screen theater, which opened in 1973 as a three-screen movie house, shows strictly foreign and independent films.
“These are going to be pushed out by the major blockbusters that will be co-existing in this 12-14 screen theaters they’re proposing to build,” Northfelt said.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, mall owner Macerich said it was engaged in early talks about a new theater with Harkins.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments