PHOENIX — The recent announcement of a proposed expansion of Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall has indie movie fans in the Valley worried about the future of Harkins Camelview 5 theater.
The mall has submitted a formal request to the city for almost 142,000 additional square feet for development to be completed possibly within the next two years.
A 12-14 screen theater could be in the works for the site but that isn’t of much comfort to Arizona State University student Peter Northfelt, an arthouse movie fan. He isn’t going to stand idly by and watch the place go down.
He authored an online petition at change.org to save the theater and has already drawn 2,000 or so signatures.
The five-screen theater, which opened in 1973 as a three-screen movie house, shows strictly foreign and independent films.
“These are going to be pushed out by the major blockbusters that will be co-existing in this 12-14 screen theaters they’re proposing to build,” Northfelt said.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, mall owner Macerich said it was engaged in early talks about a new theater with Harkins.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development