PHOENIX — Almost five million people visit the Grand Canyon National Park each year. Many of them pass through the community of Tusayan, which is losing tens of thousands of dollars each day that the park is closed because of the government shutdown.
Mayor Greg Bryan runs the Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn and said he is losing $15,000-$25,000 every day. He estimated the community is losing up to $150,000 per day in a town of less than 600 residents.
“This is ruining lives and dreams. The Grand Canyon is the reason we’re here, without them it’s tough,” he said.
The Grand Canyon is an international draw and its closure has ruined vacations, too.
“We had a couple that came in from South Africa last night that had been planning this visit for 10 years and when they arrived they couldn’t get into the park.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.