PHOENIX — Almost five million people visit the Grand Canyon National Park each year. Many of them pass through the community of Tusayan, which is losing tens of thousands of dollars each day that the park is closed because of the government shutdown.
Mayor Greg Bryan runs the Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn and said he is losing $15,000-$25,000 every day. He estimated the community is losing up to $150,000 per day in a town of less than 600 residents.
“This is ruining lives and dreams. The Grand Canyon is the reason we’re here, without them it’s tough,” he said.
The Grand Canyon is an international draw and its closure has ruined vacations, too.
“We had a couple that came in from South Africa last night that had been planning this visit for 10 years and when they arrived they couldn’t get into the park.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development