PHOENIX — Almost five million people visit the Grand Canyon National Park each year. Many of them pass through the community of Tusayan, which is losing tens of thousands of dollars each day that the park is closed because of the government shutdown.
Mayor Greg Bryan runs the Best Western Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn and said he is losing $15,000-$25,000 every day. He estimated the community is losing up to $150,000 per day in a town of less than 600 residents.
“This is ruining lives and dreams. The Grand Canyon is the reason we’re here, without them it’s tough,” he said.
The Grand Canyon is an international draw and its closure has ruined vacations, too.
“We had a couple that came in from South Africa last night that had been planning this visit for 10 years and when they arrived they couldn’t get into the park.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy