PHOENIX — The government shutdown brought the Women, Infants and Children Program to a halt, but the Arizona Department of Health Services says they have the funds to carry moms and kids through the month.
Yvette Cook of Avondale is among an estimated 80,000 moms and children under five in Arizona who rely on WIC for clinics, food, infant formula and other necessities. She says she usually gets 3 months of supplies from WIC, but not this week.
“I went in earlier this week and was given a month of supplies and told to call back at the end of the month to see if they have the budget for the rest of the year,” said Cook.
She stopped by St. Mary’s Food Bank yesterday for food and said it is not easy making ends meet with two young children and only a part-time job.
“For now, I’m just trying to hang in there and hoping for good news,” Cook said.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life