PHOENIX — The government shutdown brought the Women, Infants and Children Program to a halt, but the Arizona Department of Health Services says they have the funds to carry moms and kids through the month.
Yvette Cook of Avondale is among an estimated 80,000 moms and children under five in Arizona who rely on WIC for clinics, food, infant formula and other necessities. She says she usually gets 3 months of supplies from WIC, but not this week.
“I went in earlier this week and was given a month of supplies and told to call back at the end of the month to see if they have the budget for the rest of the year,” said Cook.
She stopped by St. Mary’s Food Bank yesterday for food and said it is not easy making ends meet with two young children and only a part-time job.
“For now, I’m just trying to hang in there and hoping for good news,” Cook said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America