PHOENIX — The government shutdown brought the Women, Infants and Children Program to a halt, but the Arizona Department of Health Services says they have the funds to carry moms and kids through the month.
Yvette Cook of Avondale is among an estimated 80,000 moms and children under five in Arizona who rely on WIC for clinics, food, infant formula and other necessities. She says she usually gets 3 months of supplies from WIC, but not this week.
“I went in earlier this week and was given a month of supplies and told to call back at the end of the month to see if they have the budget for the rest of the year,” said Cook.
She stopped by St. Mary’s Food Bank yesterday for food and said it is not easy making ends meet with two young children and only a part-time job.
“For now, I’m just trying to hang in there and hoping for good news,” Cook said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food