PHOENIX — It was high noon today when approximately one dozen protesters took to the streets outside the Social Security Office in downtown Phoenix.
“We’re against the shutdown of the government, and we want to see it reopened as fast as possible,” said John Curran, a team leader for the group “Organizing for Action.”
He blames Republicans for the shutdown.
“If you read the polls, the polls say that the Republicans are the most to blame,” Curran explained. “They had the best path not to go down this road.”
Volunteer Lib Barry thinks some politicians are happy about the shutdown.
“They seem quite giddy. When we see them on TV, they look very happy. They give a thumbs up,” said Barry. “There doesn’t seem to be a lot of concern from some of these people about what’s happening to the people of our country as a result of this.”
Volunteer Jessica James says the shutdown may ruin the start of her friend’s marriage.
“I have a girlfriend who was supposed to be getting married in the Grand Canyon this weekend, and it’s not happening because it’s closed,” James said. “She has people flying in from all over the country to come be a part of her wedding. She’s freaking out.”
The protesters call the shutdown “reckless” and say Americans expect more from their elected officials.
Curran had this advice for the politicians in Washington.
“Get over the partisanship, and get over the bickering,” he said. “Let’s get on with the business of the country, which is jobs and the economy.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon