PHOENIX — It was high noon today when approximately one dozen protesters took to the streets outside the Social Security Office in downtown Phoenix.
“We’re against the shutdown of the government, and we want to see it reopened as fast as possible,” said John Curran, a team leader for the group “Organizing for Action.”
He blames Republicans for the shutdown.
“If you read the polls, the polls say that the Republicans are the most to blame,” Curran explained. “They had the best path not to go down this road.”
Volunteer Lib Barry thinks some politicians are happy about the shutdown.
“They seem quite giddy. When we see them on TV, they look very happy. They give a thumbs up,” said Barry. “There doesn’t seem to be a lot of concern from some of these people about what’s happening to the people of our country as a result of this.”
Volunteer Jessica James says the shutdown may ruin the start of her friend’s marriage.
“I have a girlfriend who was supposed to be getting married in the Grand Canyon this weekend, and it’s not happening because it’s closed,” James said. “She has people flying in from all over the country to come be a part of her wedding. She’s freaking out.”
The protesters call the shutdown “reckless” and say Americans expect more from their elected officials.
Curran had this advice for the politicians in Washington.
“Get over the partisanship, and get over the bickering,” he said. “Let’s get on with the business of the country, which is jobs and the economy.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths