PHOENIX — The system that checks whether a person is eligible to work in the U.S. is currently not available because of the government shutdown.
“We do have calls from concerned clients,” said Lynda McKay, Senior Human Resource Professional with the Bagnall Company. “They want to make sure they are doing the right thing and not putting themselves at risk, compliance-wise,” she added.
According to McKay, employers can still hire the staff they need without running them through E-Verify, however, employers must do it within three days, once E-Verify is back up again.
A word of caution from the HR experts: If an employer suspects a new hire isn’t legally authorized to work in the U.S., they are strongly urged to refrain from taking any action.
“You may not know if the person is authorized to work in the U.S., [but] you still cannot take any adverse action in this time frame, otherwise this will come back and have a legal compliance issue against the employer,” said McKay.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets