PHOENIX — Mary Ann LaRoche began SEEDs for Autism in honor of her late brother, Paul, who was autistic. The years of dedicating her life to teaching autistic adults skills they can use to aid them in their independence has not gone unnoticed by one organization.
Members of Royal Neighbors of America surprised LaRoche with a check for $2,500 on Wednesday.
The organization focuses on “protecting women financially and empowering them to improve their lives, families and communities.”
“It’s great to be part of this presentation, [to] be a part of SEEDs for Autism and to have an impact on the lives of so many young people,” said Michael Torrenti of Royal Neighbors of America.
A blacksmith by trade, LaRoche gathers volunteers in the arts, special education and business to teach participants how to create useful items which can be sold for profit, often the first real pay these young adults have ever received.
LaRoche says the grant awarded by Royal Neighbors will be put to great use.
“We have a shoe-string budget, so this will allow me to buy more tools and supplies for our young adults so that they can continue doing the great work they are doing,” she said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas