PHOENIX — Mary Ann LaRoche began SEEDs for Autism in honor of her late brother, Paul, who was autistic. The years of dedicating her life to teaching autistic adults skills they can use to aid them in their independence has not gone unnoticed by one organization.
Members of Royal Neighbors of America surprised LaRoche with a check for $2,500 on Wednesday.
The organization focuses on “protecting women financially and empowering them to improve their lives, families and communities.”
“It’s great to be part of this presentation, [to] be a part of SEEDs for Autism and to have an impact on the lives of so many young people,” said Michael Torrenti of Royal Neighbors of America.
A blacksmith by trade, LaRoche gathers volunteers in the arts, special education and business to teach participants how to create useful items which can be sold for profit, often the first real pay these young adults have ever received.
LaRoche says the grant awarded by Royal Neighbors will be put to great use.
“We have a shoe-string budget, so this will allow me to buy more tools and supplies for our young adults so that they can continue doing the great work they are doing,” she said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them