TEMPE, Ariz. — According to Arizona State University student William Mawwin, he was not expecting a beautiful thing to happen in his life.
Mawwin is not speaking as just another dramatic college student. He survived childhood slavery in Sudan.
At age 6, he was captured and beaten and forced into labor. Mawwin lived in fear everyday: Fear of death, fear of dismemberment, fear of others.
Mawwin managed to flee to the United States, where he earned an associate’s degree. He now strives for a bachelor’s degree at Arizona State University, where professor of English Melissa Pritchard took him under her wing.
Pritchard held a fundraiser at her home for the Lost Boys of Sudan in September 2005, where Mawwin was one of the Sudanese guests.
Together, Pritchard helped Mawwin turned his pain and struggle into a film for The Wilson Quarterly, in the hopes of helping others.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development