PHOENIX — A roadside pit stop might soon become a little more pleasant.
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) has struck a deal with Infrastructure Corporation of America to maintain all rest stops in the state. The company will also make improvements and add amenities, like pet areas and wi-fi at some locations.
“[This partnership] gets ADOT out the daily rest area business and on to focusing on our core business, which is building and maintaining highways,” said ADOT spokesperson Laura Douglas.
This new contract represents the agency’s first active public/private partnership. Terms of the contract allow for advertising with revenue sharing, with a portion of the revenue generated from sponsorships and advertising going directly into the state’s highway fund.
Infrastructure Corporation of America currently operates and maintains rest areas in Florida, Texas and Missouri.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl