PHOENIX — Phoenix is turning purple, and you’re going to see a lot of it around town this month.
The city officially launched is Paint Phoenix Purple campaign Friday. Purple has been adopted as the symbolic color of domestic abuse awareness.
“There’s going to be purple ribbons, purple clothing, bracelets, landscape lighting, domestic violence trains, newsletter articles, public service announcements, and so much more,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
During October, numerous parts of Phoenix will adopt a purple hue, including City Hall. Purple light bulbs will be installed atop the building.
Libby Bissa with Phoenix Family Advocacy Center said Tovrea Castle will also be painted purple during October.
Third Street will have a purple line on it through downtown Phoenix.
Stanton said there’s a reason the city wants to raise awareness of the issue.
“We raise it that it’s not just a problem in some parts of our city, that it’s not just a problem in some parts of the community,” he said. “We raise it because it’s an issue that all of us have to come to terms with because it affects all of us.”
Phoenix City Councilwoman Thelda Williams said the message is that we can stop domestic violence.
“Each of us has to take on a personal responsibility to become aware, to know how to inform anyone who is a victim where to go, how to get emergency services, and what’s out there,” she said. “(We need to) stand and support them.”
About 50,000 domestic violence-related calls are fielded by Phoenix 911 operators annually.
Watch a flash mob promoting Paint Phoenix Purple below.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier