PHOENIX — Phoenix is turning purple, and you’re going to see a lot of it around town this month.
The city officially launched is Paint Phoenix Purple campaign Friday. Purple has been adopted as the symbolic color of domestic abuse awareness.
“There’s going to be purple ribbons, purple clothing, bracelets, landscape lighting, domestic violence trains, newsletter articles, public service announcements, and so much more,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
During October, numerous parts of Phoenix will adopt a purple hue, including City Hall. Purple light bulbs will be installed atop the building.
Libby Bissa with Phoenix Family Advocacy Center said Tovrea Castle will also be painted purple during October.
Third Street will have a purple line on it through downtown Phoenix.
Stanton said there’s a reason the city wants to raise awareness of the issue.
“We raise it that it’s not just a problem in some parts of our city, that it’s not just a problem in some parts of the community,” he said. “We raise it because it’s an issue that all of us have to come to terms with because it affects all of us.”
Phoenix City Councilwoman Thelda Williams said the message is that we can stop domestic violence.
“Each of us has to take on a personal responsibility to become aware, to know how to inform anyone who is a victim where to go, how to get emergency services, and what’s out there,” she said. “(We need to) stand and support them.”
About 50,000 domestic violence-related calls are fielded by Phoenix 911 operators annually.
Watch a flash mob promoting Paint Phoenix Purple below.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development