GLENDALE, Ariz. — October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the city of Glendale has encouraged the local shops to “Go Pink!” from Oct. 1-13.
Already merchants have begun decorating their storefronts with the color pink. Glendale residents will then vote for their favorite storefront by leaving a dollar in a donation jar. The store that raises the most money will win a gift basket full of spa, restaurant and sports prizes.
Certain businesses will even offer certain discounts, merchandise and menu items, with proceeds going toward Susan G. Komen Central and Northern Arizona (Komen CAN AZ) and local breast cancer programs.
“While our main goal is to raise awareness of breast health and breast cancer, there will also be opportunities for community members to help raise funds for vital breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs right in our own backyard,” said Robin Hansen, Development Associate for Komen CAN AZ.
For some residents, breast cancer hits a little too close to home.
Christine Nobles is a Stage 3 breast cancer survivor and the owner of Glendale Flowers.
“I know firsthand that early detection saves lives,” Nobles said. “That is why I am so passionate about raising awareness of this disease in our community.”
On Sunday, Oct. 13, the Glendale Goes Pink team will also take part in the 21st Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Phoenix.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food