GLENDALE, Ariz. — October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the city of Glendale has encouraged the local shops to “Go Pink!” from Oct. 1-13.
Already merchants have begun decorating their storefronts with the color pink. Glendale residents will then vote for their favorite storefront by leaving a dollar in a donation jar. The store that raises the most money will win a gift basket full of spa, restaurant and sports prizes.
Certain businesses will even offer certain discounts, merchandise and menu items, with proceeds going toward Susan G. Komen Central and Northern Arizona (Komen CAN AZ) and local breast cancer programs.
“While our main goal is to raise awareness of breast health and breast cancer, there will also be opportunities for community members to help raise funds for vital breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs right in our own backyard,” said Robin Hansen, Development Associate for Komen CAN AZ.
For some residents, breast cancer hits a little too close to home.
Christine Nobles is a Stage 3 breast cancer survivor and the owner of Glendale Flowers.
“I know firsthand that early detection saves lives,” Nobles said. “That is why I am so passionate about raising awareness of this disease in our community.”
On Sunday, Oct. 13, the Glendale Goes Pink team will also take part in the 21st Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Phoenix.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development