PHOENIX — Thanks to a $3 million federal grant, researchers at the University of Arizona Cancer Center are focusing on nutrition and medicine.
More than 100 women in the Valley and Tucson are taking part in a study to determine if a compound found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower can enhance the effects of the breast cancer drug Tamoxifen.
Study coordinator Julie West said participants are asked to take two pills twice a day — Tamoxifen and either a placebo or a concentrated form of diindolylmethane (DIM), a natural compound found in cruciferous vegetables.
“The compound we’re using has been specially formulated,” she said. “It’s like a time release.”
Women who take part in the 18-month study will make periodic clinical visits in central Phoenix, Mesa or Tucson. For more information on the study in Maricopa County, call Dianne Parish at (602) 264-4461 or Patti Blair at (480) 461-3772.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food