PHOENIX — Two major funding sources on hold because of the federal government shutdown have an immediate impact on Arizona.
Nicole Moon with the Arizona Department of Economic Security said the shutdown impacted the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Payments averaging $207 to 5,150 low-income families won’t be made Wednesday.
“The program is to help them pay their bills,” she said. “So if you’re in a dire situation you can apply for this assistance. There’s a 24-month limit on getting the cash assistance. If you have no other income then this money helps pay for food, utilities and medical bills.”
More than 11,300 other families will not be affected by the shutdown.
Additionally the Social Services Block Grant has been delayed. This is federal money that DES uses to fund a variety of services for the elderly, domestic violence shelters, housing for the homeless, eviction prevention and utility assistance.
Moon believes most of those operations will be able to continue in the short-term while other programs could be impacted sooner.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food