PHOENIX — Two major funding sources on hold because of the federal government shutdown have an immediate impact on Arizona.
Nicole Moon with the Arizona Department of Economic Security said the shutdown impacted the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Payments averaging $207 to 5,150 low-income families won’t be made Wednesday.
“The program is to help them pay their bills,” she said. “So if you’re in a dire situation you can apply for this assistance. There’s a 24-month limit on getting the cash assistance. If you have no other income then this money helps pay for food, utilities and medical bills.”
More than 11,300 other families will not be affected by the shutdown.
Additionally the Social Services Block Grant has been delayed. This is federal money that DES uses to fund a variety of services for the elderly, domestic violence shelters, housing for the homeless, eviction prevention and utility assistance.
Moon believes most of those operations will be able to continue in the short-term while other programs could be impacted sooner.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development