PEORIA, Ariz. — South of Bell Road on 83rd Avenue you’ll find the Peoria Sports Complex, the spring training home of the San Diego Padres and Seattle Mariners.
The area also has an ice rink, Harkin’s Theatres and dozens of restaurants, bars and shops.
Now, city council members want you to think of P83 for Peoria Eighty Three. That’s what city leaders have dubbed the area. They spent nearly $500,000 on a design plan to attract more people and construction is set to begin next summer.
The first construction phase, which is expected to start next summer, will cost nearly $4 million. It will include a pedestrian crossing to connect the sports complex on the east side of 83rd Avenue to the bars and restaurants on the west side. The median will also be landscaped and there will be big, brightly colored monument signs to signify P83.
The goal is to turn the area into a pedestrian-friendly regional destination. The city has plans for more construction phases, but first they need to come up with funds.
For more information on P83, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier