PEORIA, Ariz. — South of Bell Road on 83rd Avenue you’ll find the Peoria Sports Complex, the spring training home of the San Diego Padres and Seattle Mariners.
The area also has an ice rink, Harkin’s Theatres and dozens of restaurants, bars and shops.
Now, city council members want you to think of P83 for Peoria Eighty Three. That’s what city leaders have dubbed the area. They spent nearly $500,000 on a design plan to attract more people and construction is set to begin next summer.
The first construction phase, which is expected to start next summer, will cost nearly $4 million. It will include a pedestrian crossing to connect the sports complex on the east side of 83rd Avenue to the bars and restaurants on the west side. The median will also be landscaped and there will be big, brightly colored monument signs to signify P83.
The goal is to turn the area into a pedestrian-friendly regional destination. The city has plans for more construction phases, but first they need to come up with funds.
For more information on P83, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon