PEORIA, Ariz. — South of Bell Road on 83rd Avenue you’ll find the Peoria Sports Complex, the spring training home of the San Diego Padres and Seattle Mariners.
The area also has an ice rink, Harkin’s Theatres and dozens of restaurants, bars and shops.
Now, city council members want you to think of P83 for Peoria Eighty Three. That’s what city leaders have dubbed the area. They spent nearly $500,000 on a design plan to attract more people and construction is set to begin next summer.
The first construction phase, which is expected to start next summer, will cost nearly $4 million. It will include a pedestrian crossing to connect the sports complex on the east side of 83rd Avenue to the bars and restaurants on the west side. The median will also be landscaped and there will be big, brightly colored monument signs to signify P83.
The goal is to turn the area into a pedestrian-friendly regional destination. The city has plans for more construction phases, but first they need to come up with funds.
For more information on P83, click here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night