PHOENIX — With hiring underway at department stores for the holiday season, many people go into a seasonal position hoping it turns into something more permanent.
Patrick Battillo helps with retail hiring in the Valley. He said the best thing someone can do to be considered for a permanent position is to have a good attitude.
“Make sure you’re going in every day upbeat and ready to go. Whatever department or team you’re working on, ensure you’re reliable,” Battillo said. “So you’re going to be there when you’re supposed to be, and be early. Stay and work as hard as you need to, and be open.”
He said if you do get offered a part-time position, even if it’s just as a cashier or someone who collects carts, there are plenty of chances to move up.
“I’ve seen huge success stories. I’ve had district leaders and group leaders who started as a seasonal team member,” Battillo said. “The opportunity is there. Once you’re brought on as a full-time team member it’s the same opportunity anyone else would be extended to.”
He said like most industries, retail companies prefer to promote from within, so those who stand out will be considered first.
“If there are positions available, you can bet we’re going to look to staff those needs come the end of the seasonal period with any talent that we’ve offered a seasonal position to,” Battillo said.
He said just because someone was let go after the end of the holiday season, that doesn’t mean a company won’t need them in the future. Battillo said to make sure to apply again, and to check other store locations for openings. Many stores prefer to bring in someone who already knows the business.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night