PHOENIX — With hiring underway at department stores for the holiday season, many people go into a seasonal position hoping it turns into something more permanent.
Patrick Battillo helps with retail hiring in the Valley. He said the best thing someone can do to be considered for a permanent position is to have a good attitude.
“Make sure you’re going in every day upbeat and ready to go. Whatever department or team you’re working on, ensure you’re reliable,” Battillo said. “So you’re going to be there when you’re supposed to be, and be early. Stay and work as hard as you need to, and be open.”
He said if you do get offered a part-time position, even if it’s just as a cashier or someone who collects carts, there are plenty of chances to move up.
“I’ve seen huge success stories. I’ve had district leaders and group leaders who started as a seasonal team member,” Battillo said. “The opportunity is there. Once you’re brought on as a full-time team member it’s the same opportunity anyone else would be extended to.”
He said like most industries, retail companies prefer to promote from within, so those who stand out will be considered first.
“If there are positions available, you can bet we’re going to look to staff those needs come the end of the seasonal period with any talent that we’ve offered a seasonal position to,” Battillo said.
He said just because someone was let go after the end of the holiday season, that doesn’t mean a company won’t need them in the future. Battillo said to make sure to apply again, and to check other store locations for openings. Many stores prefer to bring in someone who already knows the business.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.