PHOENIX — With hiring underway at department stores for the holiday season, many people go into a seasonal position hoping it turns into something more permanent.
Patrick Battillo helps with retail hiring in the Valley. He said the best thing someone can do to be considered for a permanent position is to have a good attitude.
“Make sure you’re going in every day upbeat and ready to go. Whatever department or team you’re working on, ensure you’re reliable,” Battillo said. “So you’re going to be there when you’re supposed to be, and be early. Stay and work as hard as you need to, and be open.”
He said if you do get offered a part-time position, even if it’s just as a cashier or someone who collects carts, there are plenty of chances to move up.
“I’ve seen huge success stories. I’ve had district leaders and group leaders who started as a seasonal team member,” Battillo said. “The opportunity is there. Once you’re brought on as a full-time team member it’s the same opportunity anyone else would be extended to.”
He said like most industries, retail companies prefer to promote from within, so those who stand out will be considered first.
“If there are positions available, you can bet we’re going to look to staff those needs come the end of the seasonal period with any talent that we’ve offered a seasonal position to,” Battillo said.
He said just because someone was let go after the end of the holiday season, that doesn’t mean a company won’t need them in the future. Battillo said to make sure to apply again, and to check other store locations for openings. Many stores prefer to bring in someone who already knows the business.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them