MARICOPA COUNTY, Ariz. — Rural Metro Firefighters responding to a call just north of Phoenix International Raceway early Sunday morning found a huge hay fire.
Public Information Officer Colin Williams said more than 200 tons were burning.
“In addition to the hay that was on fire, there were eight semi-tractor trailers that were burning and 13 flatbed tractor trailers that were loaded – all of that ready to be delivered Monday morning,” Williams said.
Williams said he talked to the owner of Southwest Farm Supply, a family-owned business.
“(The owner has) been to numerous hay fires. They’ve always been somebody else’s situation, if you will. All they’re left to do is kind of watch their materials go up into smoke,” said Williams.
The owner told Williams that Southwest Farm Supply has enough stockpiles to meet customer demand. It supplies hay to stockyards, farms and ranches.
Crews are letting the hay burn because they said it is tough for them to get water on the fire because the heat caused the barn structure to collapse onto the bales and trailers.
Plus, Williams said, pouring water creates a prolonged smoke effect and a lot of run-off.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food