MARICOPA COUNTY, Ariz. — Rural Metro Firefighters responding to a call just north of Phoenix International Raceway early Sunday morning found a huge hay fire.
Public Information Officer Colin Williams said more than 200 tons were burning.
“In addition to the hay that was on fire, there were eight semi-tractor trailers that were burning and 13 flatbed tractor trailers that were loaded – all of that ready to be delivered Monday morning,” Williams said.
Williams said he talked to the owner of Southwest Farm Supply, a family-owned business.
“(The owner has) been to numerous hay fires. They’ve always been somebody else’s situation, if you will. All they’re left to do is kind of watch their materials go up into smoke,” said Williams.
The owner told Williams that Southwest Farm Supply has enough stockpiles to meet customer demand. It supplies hay to stockyards, farms and ranches.
Crews are letting the hay burn because they said it is tough for them to get water on the fire because the heat caused the barn structure to collapse onto the bales and trailers.
Plus, Williams said, pouring water creates a prolonged smoke effect and a lot of run-off.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development