PHOENIX — Family camping trips can make either great memories — or nightmares.
If your camping skills are a little rusty, the Arizona State Parks department wants to help. You can learn how to get by in the wild through the “Family Campout Program.”
“We teach them how to set up tents,” said Arizona State Parks Executive Director Bryan Martin. “We teach them how to prepare their food. We teach them how to interact with the environment safely.”
And you can learn all of that while on a camping tip. The program offers weekend camping at several state parks — including Kartchner Caverns (pictured above), Patagonia State Park and Lost Dutchman State Park.
But you won’t have to bring much with you.
“We provide basically everything: The tents, the sleeping mats, the lanterns, the chairs and even the food,” Martin said. “We show people that camping isn’t scary, and we get them out to our state parks.”
A camping trip this weekend involves biking, hiking and other activities at Kartchner Caverns. Next week’s camping event is at Lost Dutchman park.
To find out more about the parks and the camping trips, click here.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick