PHOENIX — Family camping trips can make either great memories — or nightmares.
If your camping skills are a little rusty, the Arizona State Parks department wants to help. You can learn how to get by in the wild through the “Family Campout Program.”
“We teach them how to set up tents,” said Arizona State Parks Executive Director Bryan Martin. “We teach them how to prepare their food. We teach them how to interact with the environment safely.”
And you can learn all of that while on a camping tip. The program offers weekend camping at several state parks — including Kartchner Caverns (pictured above), Patagonia State Park and Lost Dutchman State Park.
But you won’t have to bring much with you.
“We provide basically everything: The tents, the sleeping mats, the lanterns, the chairs and even the food,” Martin said. “We show people that camping isn’t scary, and we get them out to our state parks.”
A camping trip this weekend involves biking, hiking and other activities at Kartchner Caverns. Next week’s camping event is at Lost Dutchman park.
To find out more about the parks and the camping trips, click here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night