PHOENIX — Family camping trips can make either great memories — or nightmares.
If your camping skills are a little rusty, the Arizona State Parks department wants to help. You can learn how to get by in the wild through the “Family Campout Program.”
“We teach them how to set up tents,” said Arizona State Parks Executive Director Bryan Martin. “We teach them how to prepare their food. We teach them how to interact with the environment safely.”
And you can learn all of that while on a camping tip. The program offers weekend camping at several state parks — including Kartchner Caverns (pictured above), Patagonia State Park and Lost Dutchman State Park.
But you won’t have to bring much with you.
“We provide basically everything: The tents, the sleeping mats, the lanterns, the chairs and even the food,” Martin said. “We show people that camping isn’t scary, and we get them out to our state parks.”
A camping trip this weekend involves biking, hiking and other activities at Kartchner Caverns. Next week’s camping event is at Lost Dutchman park.
To find out more about the parks and the camping trips, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier