PHOENIX — If it’s been more than a month since you walked the perimeter of your home looking for termites, you should do that sooner rather than later, according to one Valley expert.
“When there is a lot of moisture, the water table rises. Termites are 15-to-25 feet underground, so as the water table rises, it creates a lot of termite activity,” said Gilbert Ochoa, owner of Select Pest Control.
Recent monsoons in the area have stirred up colonies, and all the termites need is an opportunity the size of a pinhole to get in and wreak havoc on your house.
Ochoa said his clients who have had the most severe damage caused by these insects are those who’ve neglected to look for telltale traces, such as mud tubes, of the pest.
“They think it’s not going to cause a lot of damage, but in fact, they cause more damage every year than tornadoes, hurricanes, fires and earthquakes combined,” Ochoa said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.