PHOENIX — If it’s been more than a month since you walked the perimeter of your home looking for termites, you should do that sooner rather than later, according to one Valley expert.
“When there is a lot of moisture, the water table rises. Termites are 15-to-25 feet underground, so as the water table rises, it creates a lot of termite activity,” said Gilbert Ochoa, owner of Select Pest Control.
Recent monsoons in the area have stirred up colonies, and all the termites need is an opportunity the size of a pinhole to get in and wreak havoc on your house.
Ochoa said his clients who have had the most severe damage caused by these insects are those who’ve neglected to look for telltale traces, such as mud tubes, of the pest.
“They think it’s not going to cause a lot of damage, but in fact, they cause more damage every year than tornadoes, hurricanes, fires and earthquakes combined,” Ochoa said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon