PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio ordered a lockdown of the Fourth Avenue Jail Friday in an effort to combat gang violence in prison.
Officers, posse members and dogs searched more than 1,100 jail cells — including more than 2,000 beds — for any prohibited items.
“We came up with a lot of contraband,” said Arpaio. “A lot of shanks (stabbing devices) and hooch (illegal homemade liquor). We do this once in a while, but I thought it was time to do it again.”
The lockdown came as a direct result of the actions of a 15-year-old accused cop killer who is in in MCSO custody. The teen, who has been remanded as an adult, is incarcerated at the maximum security facility for allegedly fatally shooting MCSO Detention Officer Jorge Vargas in his driveway on Aug. 8. Moreno allegedly made comments in jail regarding his intention to “shank” or stab others and flashed gang signs.
Moreno was moved to a special unit where he isolated from other inmates and officers.
“There are a number of gang-related issues in our jails and on the streets that we need to take action on and we are starting today with this jail shakedown,” Arpaio said.
Arpaio said the shakedown was the first phase of a plan to stop gang violence — particularly gang violence directed at law enforcement — both in his prisons and outside of the,. He said he has plans to conduct a crime suppression operation in the near future.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier