PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio ordered a lockdown of the Fourth Avenue Jail Friday in an effort to combat gang violence in prison.
Officers, posse members and dogs searched more than 1,100 jail cells — including more than 2,000 beds — for any prohibited items.
“We came up with a lot of contraband,” said Arpaio. “A lot of shanks (stabbing devices) and hooch (illegal homemade liquor). We do this once in a while, but I thought it was time to do it again.”
The lockdown came as a direct result of the actions of a 15-year-old accused cop killer who is in in MCSO custody. The teen, who has been remanded as an adult, is incarcerated at the maximum security facility for allegedly fatally shooting MCSO Detention Officer Jorge Vargas in his driveway on Aug. 8. Moreno allegedly made comments in jail regarding his intention to “shank” or stab others and flashed gang signs.
Moreno was moved to a special unit where he isolated from other inmates and officers.
“There are a number of gang-related issues in our jails and on the streets that we need to take action on and we are starting today with this jail shakedown,” Arpaio said.
Arpaio said the shakedown was the first phase of a plan to stop gang violence — particularly gang violence directed at law enforcement — both in his prisons and outside of the,. He said he has plans to conduct a crime suppression operation in the near future.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development