PHOENIX — It’s the end of an era Saturday night in Globe.
The city will say goodbye to Arizona’s remaining single screen drive-in movie theater.
The Apache Drive-in has been showing the Hollywood hits for 60 years. But recently, it’s been a struggle. Hollywood is switching from 35mm film to digital, and drive-in owner Bobby Hollis said there is not enough business to justify the cost of converting the drive-in’s projection system. He has decided to close.
Linda Gross of the Globe-Miami Times has been helping to organize the going-away party.
“We’ll be doing everything from big hair, you know the ’60s was all about rat-teasing your hair, to best rock star group or couple,” said Gross. “We’ve got fashion and fenders, so if you bring your classic car and your classy dame, you might win a prize.”
Winners will be determined by the volume of crowd’s honking horns.
There’s even a Wolfman Jack lookalike and soundalike contest. That’s appropriate, because the drive-in’s last movie will be the classic “American Graffiti,” which featured the Wolfman. It also starred Richard Dreyfus and Ron Howard. “It’s the most iconic drive-in movie of all time,” said Gross. “People have seen it a dozen times, and will still watch it and enjoy it.”
Gates will open at 4:30 p.m. Gross said that no one will be allowed in after 7:15; the movie will start at 7:30.
There’s room for about 200 cars. Gross said about 30 tickets remain. Tickets must be purchased in advance online.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development