PHOENIX — It’s the end of an era Saturday night in Globe.
The city will say goodbye to Arizona’s remaining single screen drive-in movie theater.
The Apache Drive-in has been showing the Hollywood hits for 60 years. But recently, it’s been a struggle. Hollywood is switching from 35mm film to digital, and drive-in owner Bobby Hollis said there is not enough business to justify the cost of converting the drive-in’s projection system. He has decided to close.
Linda Gross of the Globe-Miami Times has been helping to organize the going-away party.
“We’ll be doing everything from big hair, you know the ’60s was all about rat-teasing your hair, to best rock star group or couple,” said Gross. “We’ve got fashion and fenders, so if you bring your classic car and your classy dame, you might win a prize.”
Winners will be determined by the volume of crowd’s honking horns.
There’s even a Wolfman Jack lookalike and soundalike contest. That’s appropriate, because the drive-in’s last movie will be the classic “American Graffiti,” which featured the Wolfman. It also starred Richard Dreyfus and Ron Howard. “It’s the most iconic drive-in movie of all time,” said Gross. “People have seen it a dozen times, and will still watch it and enjoy it.”
Gates will open at 4:30 p.m. Gross said that no one will be allowed in after 7:15; the movie will start at 7:30.
There’s room for about 200 cars. Gross said about 30 tickets remain. Tickets must be purchased in advance online.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas