PHOENIX — The Phoenix Zoo announced Friday that two of its Komodo dragons died in September.
Ivan, a male Komodo dragon, died Sept. 12 and Gaia, a female, died Sept. 19. Both came from the same clutch of eggs and were 20-years-old.
Results showed that both animals died from multiple age-related issues.
“Ivan was a big animal with an even bigger personality and will be missed,” Phoenix Zoo Manager of Ectotherms Paula Swanson said. “He was curious and would interact with visitors through the glass.”
Swanson also had some kind word for Gaia.
“She liked to tease Ivan a little bit. They had to modify their exhibit because sometimes when Ivan would walk by, if she saw his tail sticking out from under the doorway, she’d go over and try to nip Ivan’s tail.”
The zoo still has two Komodo dragons. They were both born in January and will be moved to the Komodo dragon exhibit as they mature. Neither has been named.
It’s estimated that only 3,000 to 5,000 Komodo dragons remain in the wild. They are considered a species vulnerable to extinction.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick