PHOENIX — The Phoenix Zoo announced Friday that two of its Komodo dragons died in September.
Ivan, a male Komodo dragon, died Sept. 12 and Gaia, a female, died Sept. 19. Both came from the same clutch of eggs and were 20-years-old.
Results showed that both animals died from multiple age-related issues.
“Ivan was a big animal with an even bigger personality and will be missed,” Phoenix Zoo Manager of Ectotherms Paula Swanson said. “He was curious and would interact with visitors through the glass.”
Swanson also had some kind word for Gaia.
“She liked to tease Ivan a little bit. They had to modify their exhibit because sometimes when Ivan would walk by, if she saw his tail sticking out from under the doorway, she’d go over and try to nip Ivan’s tail.”
The zoo still has two Komodo dragons. They were both born in January and will be moved to the Komodo dragon exhibit as they mature. Neither has been named.
It’s estimated that only 3,000 to 5,000 Komodo dragons remain in the wild. They are considered a species vulnerable to extinction.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns