PHOENIX — As manager of a gas station convenience store, Leslie Robb said he’s noticed that people who come in glancing at the Arizona Lottery sign often make a detour to grab chips and a soda before plunking down money on tickets.
That effect is more pronounced as Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots rise: In addition to increased lottery sales, he sees more customers and more extra purchases of this and that.
“The only reason they are here is to buy lottery tickets,” Robb said.
The Arizona Lottery’s retailers shared in record-breaking sales in fiscal 2013 to the tune of 6.5 percent of the revenue from tickets sold at their establishments. But a secondary impact of big jackpots is new customers dropping by and purchases made beyond tickets.
“Especially when our jackpots are high, it is going to increase the customer traffic in our retailers,” said Raynie Hosto, the Arizona Lottery’s director of sales.
At S & J Shop & Ship, owner Shirley Petro said big jackpots prompt people in downtown Phoenix offices to search online for the nearest lottery retailer and, when dropping by for tickets, discover everything her store has to offer.
“I don’t make huge profit on the lottery itself, but it’s a way to get people into the store,” Petro said. “And people buy a soda, plus they buy lottery tickets. That’s the way it goes.”
Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the Alexandria, Va.-based National Association of Convenience Stores, said that’s common among stores selling lottery tickets.
“When somebody is new to your store because of the lottery, they are able to see what you have,” he said. “If they don’t buy something that day, maybe you can get them to buy something another day because they see some of the great things you have, whether it’s food, snacks or whatever appeals to them.”
A disadvantage for convenience stores, he said, can be if long lines for lottery tickets discourage current and prospective customers who expect to get in and out quickly.
“If the regular comes in and finds 20 people waiting to buy lottery tickets, you may lose that customer,” he said. “The lines are great, the excitements are great, all of that is great, but at the same time you have to make it convenient for your regulars just as much as you are serving any potential new customers.”
Tim James, a professor at the L. William Seidman Research Institute at Arizona State University’s W.P. Carey School of Business, said lottery retailers profit most from the extra purchases players make.
“The lottery enhances a store’s revenue potential and makes it potentially more profitable,” he said.
At Robb’s gas station, customer Chea Saluny said she buys the lottery tickets twice a week, usually along with chips and beer.
“The key thing is just getting my lottery ticket on time so that perhaps I could be a winner someday and retire,” she said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets