PHOENIX — At-risk high school kids are getting help from some of the best academic scholars here in the Valley.
Grand Canyon University has created “The Learning Lounge,” a place where Alhambra High School students who are struggling with math or reading can get free tutoring in a safe, fun environment.
Currently, Alhambra High School is rated a C-performing school by the Arizona Department of Education, based on AIMS test scores. Less than two-thirds have passed the reading portion of the test.
“We want to help them get more A’s, help them build confidence, possibly find a mentor; anything we can do to help build them up academically,” said Joe Veres with GCU.
The hope is this partnership will improve academic performance, while giving these kids hope of going to college.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets