PHOENIX — A scenic pathway in the North Valley could soon have a new name.
The five-mile long cement Sonoran Desert Drive Pathway winds through the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve near I-17 and the Carefree Highway. The path could soon be renamed in honor of former Phoenix Mayor Skip Rimsza.
Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski said Rimsza deserves the honor.
“Skip Rimsza has done so much for the city of Phoenix,” he said. “Improving our transportation — he paved the way for light rail — and he was a leader in the Phoenix Parks and Preservation Initiative.”
A committee has approved changing the name to the Skip Rimsza pathway.
“And what’s so unique about this pathway is that it’s supported by the disability community,” Nowakowski said. “Individuals in wheelchairs can have access to the pathway, and he was such a great advocate for the disability community.”
The proposal is now awaiting the approval of the Phoenix City Council. Nowakowski believes the council will approve the measure and that the pathway will be renamed by the end of the year.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development