PHOENIX — A scenic pathway in the North Valley could soon have a new name.
The five-mile long cement Sonoran Desert Drive Pathway winds through the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve near I-17 and the Carefree Highway. The path could soon be renamed in honor of former Phoenix Mayor Skip Rimsza.
Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski said Rimsza deserves the honor.
“Skip Rimsza has done so much for the city of Phoenix,” he said. “Improving our transportation — he paved the way for light rail — and he was a leader in the Phoenix Parks and Preservation Initiative.”
A committee has approved changing the name to the Skip Rimsza pathway.
“And what’s so unique about this pathway is that it’s supported by the disability community,” Nowakowski said. “Individuals in wheelchairs can have access to the pathway, and he was such a great advocate for the disability community.”
The proposal is now awaiting the approval of the Phoenix City Council. Nowakowski believes the council will approve the measure and that the pathway will be renamed by the end of the year.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.