PHOENIX — A scenic pathway in the North Valley could soon have a new name.
The five-mile long cement Sonoran Desert Drive Pathway winds through the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve near I-17 and the Carefree Highway. The path could soon be renamed in honor of former Phoenix Mayor Skip Rimsza.
Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski said Rimsza deserves the honor.
“Skip Rimsza has done so much for the city of Phoenix,” he said. “Improving our transportation — he paved the way for light rail — and he was a leader in the Phoenix Parks and Preservation Initiative.”
A committee has approved changing the name to the Skip Rimsza pathway.
“And what’s so unique about this pathway is that it’s supported by the disability community,” Nowakowski said. “Individuals in wheelchairs can have access to the pathway, and he was such a great advocate for the disability community.”
The proposal is now awaiting the approval of the Phoenix City Council. Nowakowski believes the council will approve the measure and that the pathway will be renamed by the end of the year.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains