PHOENIX — A scenic pathway in the North Valley could soon have a new name.
The five-mile long cement Sonoran Desert Drive Pathway winds through the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve near I-17 and the Carefree Highway. The path could soon be renamed in honor of former Phoenix Mayor Skip Rimsza.
Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski said Rimsza deserves the honor.
“Skip Rimsza has done so much for the city of Phoenix,” he said. “Improving our transportation — he paved the way for light rail — and he was a leader in the Phoenix Parks and Preservation Initiative.”
A committee has approved changing the name to the Skip Rimsza pathway.
“And what’s so unique about this pathway is that it’s supported by the disability community,” Nowakowski said. “Individuals in wheelchairs can have access to the pathway, and he was such a great advocate for the disability community.”
The proposal is now awaiting the approval of the Phoenix City Council. Nowakowski believes the council will approve the measure and that the pathway will be renamed by the end of the year.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets