PHOENIX — A new report said Arizona and Texas are at the top of the class when it comes to expected job growth in the next few years.
The Forbes Best States for Business was based in part on Moody’s Analytics projection of 3 percent job growth in Arizona in the next five years.
The state’s housing market is recovering nicely, with a 19 percent increases in home prices from July 2012 to July 2013. Arizona is starting to add thousands of jobs in construction and tourism. The report also cites GM’s expected hiring of 1,000 workers for its new tech center in Chandler and Go Daddy hiring 300 new employees for its tech center in Tempe.
Despite the positives, Garrick Taylor with the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry said there’s a number of things Arizona can’t match up with Texas on.
“Petroleum exports, gas and oil. A larger border with Mexico to bring in increased commerce between Texas and Mexico.”
Taylor said the battle for jobs in the Southwest is never-ending and Arizona can’t take its foot off the gas.
“In the tax arena, the labor environment, the legal arena,” he said. “Do we have a system in place that employers want to expand? It seems, according to the authors of this report, the answer is yes. There’s recognition beyond the state’s borders that we’re hitting the right notes. In the past three years, the legislature has done a lot to put the tools in our job attraction toolbox. That includes corporate tax reform, making the state friendlier to export businesses and it includes standing up the Arizona Commerce Authority which replaced the largely ineffective Arizona Department of Commerce.”
At the peak of the recession, Arizona lost 300,000 jobs, with about 200,000 of those jobs in construction. Those jobs have not returned. Taylor is concerned with Arizona’s high unemployment rate, which continues to hover around 8 percent.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths