PHOENIX — A new report said Arizona and Texas are at the top of the class when it comes to expected job growth in the next few years.
The Forbes Best States for Business was based in part on Moody’s Analytics projection of 3 percent job growth in Arizona in the next five years.
The state’s housing market is recovering nicely, with a 19 percent increases in home prices from July 2012 to July 2013. Arizona is starting to add thousands of jobs in construction and tourism. The report also cites GM’s expected hiring of 1,000 workers for its new tech center in Chandler and Go Daddy hiring 300 new employees for its tech center in Tempe.
Despite the positives, Garrick Taylor with the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry said there’s a number of things Arizona can’t match up with Texas on.
“Petroleum exports, gas and oil. A larger border with Mexico to bring in increased commerce between Texas and Mexico.”
Taylor said the battle for jobs in the Southwest is never-ending and Arizona can’t take its foot off the gas.
“In the tax arena, the labor environment, the legal arena,” he said. “Do we have a system in place that employers want to expand? It seems, according to the authors of this report, the answer is yes. There’s recognition beyond the state’s borders that we’re hitting the right notes. In the past three years, the legislature has done a lot to put the tools in our job attraction toolbox. That includes corporate tax reform, making the state friendlier to export businesses and it includes standing up the Arizona Commerce Authority which replaced the largely ineffective Arizona Department of Commerce.”
At the peak of the recession, Arizona lost 300,000 jobs, with about 200,000 of those jobs in construction. Those jobs have not returned. Taylor is concerned with Arizona’s high unemployment rate, which continues to hover around 8 percent.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon