PHOENIX — Arizona is cracking down on scrap-metal dealers who may be accepting stolen copper.
Gov. Jan Brewer has signed into a law a bill that requires the dealers to register with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. They are also required to keep a record and picture of all of the material they take in. Those who fail to register could face $1,000 fines.
In turn, police will set up a website where dealers can check to see if the materials have been reported stolen.
Valley commercial real estate developer Michael Pollack liked the plan. “What used to happen is that is you could just set up a big truck on the side of the road and call yourself ‘I’m buying scrap,’ ” said Pollack. “Who’s regulating that? Well, it wasn’t being regulated so good.”
He said copper thefts are costing Arizona residents and businesses a lot of money. “It’s a very serious matter,” Pollack said.
Pollack has been a victim of copper thefts himself. He said thefts at his construction sites have cost him over $400,000 since 2009.
He said honest dealers who don’t take the stolen copper have nothing to worry about with the new law.
“There’s exemptions in this for licensed contractors,” he said. “This is not to stop licensed contractors from doing business, or to stop scrap-metal dealers from doing business. This is meant to stop thieves, because this is what this is all about. Stopping thieves.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier