PHOENIX — Arizona is cracking down on scrap-metal dealers who may be accepting stolen copper.
Gov. Jan Brewer has signed into a law a bill that requires the dealers to register with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. They are also required to keep a record and picture of all of the material they take in. Those who fail to register could face $1,000 fines.
In turn, police will set up a website where dealers can check to see if the materials have been reported stolen.
Valley commercial real estate developer Michael Pollack liked the plan. “What used to happen is that is you could just set up a big truck on the side of the road and call yourself ‘I’m buying scrap,’ ” said Pollack. “Who’s regulating that? Well, it wasn’t being regulated so good.”
He said copper thefts are costing Arizona residents and businesses a lot of money. “It’s a very serious matter,” Pollack said.
Pollack has been a victim of copper thefts himself. He said thefts at his construction sites have cost him over $400,000 since 2009.
He said honest dealers who don’t take the stolen copper have nothing to worry about with the new law.
“There’s exemptions in this for licensed contractors,” he said. “This is not to stop licensed contractors from doing business, or to stop scrap-metal dealers from doing business. This is meant to stop thieves, because this is what this is all about. Stopping thieves.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them