PHOENIX — Phoenix police said they have made an arrest in the case of a
Maricopa County detention officer who died after being shot in his own driveway.
Authorities said 15-year-old Leonard Moreno was arrested in the death of Jorge Vargas.
Vargas was attacked Aug. 8 while working on his car outside his home. He was
wearing his uniform that identified him as a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office
“What happened at the end of that driveway is really unknown,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump. “We know that he ended up dead there with an encounter with him. But again, I think when we talk about motive in this, we believe the motive in this is gangs, guns and drugs. There’s no other answer we can provide for this.”
Authorities, at the time, wouldn’t speculate if the killing was
related to Vargas’ work.
Witnesses told authorities a man was seen running from the scene after the
shots were fired but tactical teams failed to find any suspects.
Crump said Moreno was described as a “wannabe” gang member and was on his way home from a party when he allegedly shot Vargas. He was linked to the scene through DNA evidence and evidence obtained from shell casings.
Moreno is already in jail on suspicion of committing a drive-by shooting.
Moreno’s mother, Kathy Seymour, was also arrested in the case. She was charged with hindering prosecution.
A second man, 20-year-old Ivan Montes, was arrested as an accomplice to the shooting.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.