PHOENIX — Phoenix police said they have made an arrest in the case of a
Maricopa County detention officer who died after being shot in his own driveway.
Authorities said 15-year-old Leonard Moreno was arrested in the death of Jorge Vargas.
Vargas was attacked Aug. 8 while working on his car outside his home. He was
wearing his uniform that identified him as a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office
“What happened at the end of that driveway is really unknown,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump. “We know that he ended up dead there with an encounter with him. But again, I think when we talk about motive in this, we believe the motive in this is gangs, guns and drugs. There’s no other answer we can provide for this.”
Authorities, at the time, wouldn’t speculate if the killing was
related to Vargas’ work.
Witnesses told authorities a man was seen running from the scene after the
shots were fired but tactical teams failed to find any suspects.
Crump said Moreno was described as a “wannabe” gang member and was on his way home from a party when he allegedly shot Vargas. He was linked to the scene through DNA evidence and evidence obtained from shell casings.
Moreno is already in jail on suspicion of committing a drive-by shooting.
Moreno’s mother, Kathy Seymour, was also arrested in the case. She was charged with hindering prosecution.
A second man, 20-year-old Ivan Montes, was arrested as an accomplice to the shooting.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development