PHOENIX — It should have been one of the happiest times of Stacey Lihn’s life.
In 2009, she underwent an ultrasound at the doctor’s office where Lihn would learn whether she and her husband would be welcoming a boy or a girl. They learned it was a girl who would be born with only half a heart.
Zoey would need a series of three open heart surgeries. While Stacey and her husband focused on being positive for their daughter, they also worried about how long the insurance company would pay.
“By the time she had her second open heart surgery, she was halfway through her lifetime cap at only six months of age,” said Lihn.
After President Barack Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law, Lihn said they got a letter from the insurance company dropping her daughter’s lifetime ban.
“Obamacare is not a political game to me,” she said. “It’s a lifeline for my daughter.”
Lihn admitted there will be challenges with the program.
“There will be kinks to work out, but the benefits of Obamacare are well worth working through those kinks and coming together as a country and figuring out how we can best implement this healthcare act.”
The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, requires most employers to provide health insurance coverage to employees and requires people who do not have coverage through work to buy their own coverage. Depending on income levels and other factors, some people may receive subsidies.
Starting Oct. 1, people without insurance coverage can begin “one-stop shopping” at The Health Insurance Marketplace where they can find and compare insurance options.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food