PHOENIX — It should have been one of the happiest times of Stacey Lihn’s life.
In 2009, she underwent an ultrasound at the doctor’s office where Lihn would learn whether she and her husband would be welcoming a boy or a girl. They learned it was a girl who would be born with only half a heart.
Zoey would need a series of three open heart surgeries. While Stacey and her husband focused on being positive for their daughter, they also worried about how long the insurance company would pay.
“By the time she had her second open heart surgery, she was halfway through her lifetime cap at only six months of age,” said Lihn.
After President Barack Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law, Lihn said they got a letter from the insurance company dropping her daughter’s lifetime ban.
“Obamacare is not a political game to me,” she said. “It’s a lifeline for my daughter.”
Lihn admitted there will be challenges with the program.
“There will be kinks to work out, but the benefits of Obamacare are well worth working through those kinks and coming together as a country and figuring out how we can best implement this healthcare act.”
The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, requires most employers to provide health insurance coverage to employees and requires people who do not have coverage through work to buy their own coverage. Depending on income levels and other factors, some people may receive subsidies.
Starting Oct. 1, people without insurance coverage can begin “one-stop shopping” at The Health Insurance Marketplace where they can find and compare insurance options.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier