PHOENIX – Six months after opening a special section for women veterans at a Phoenix homeless shelter, it’s being forced to close.
“We can’t be in a potential crisis every month to make sure we keep our doors open,” said Terry Araman, MANA House director. “We have rent we have to pay on a monthly basis, we have salaries we have to pay on a monthly basis.”
Araman said every month has been a struggle. So, for now, they’re closing the area designed to house and help 16 women veterans.
“They’re experiencing a lot of the same kind of trauma (as men) PTSD, traumatic brain injury,” said Araman. “The other issue that’s very prominent and we’re very aware of among homeless women veterans is MST, military sexual trauma. MST can range from sexual harassment to rape and everything in between.”
Araman said the military systems for reporting and dealing with MST are not very good and it’s another reason female veterans should have a safe, stable place where they feel supported. That place will not be MANA House — at least not until they secure sustainable funding, estimated to be about $200,000 a year.
Since opening the special section in March, Araman said they have served 23 women. As they struggled with funding, MANA capped the space at eight and started looking for alternative shelters. By the end of September, the remaining five women will move out. MANA House will continue serving male veterans and Araman said he will continue searching for long-term funding.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.