PHOENIX — Fall is here and Phoenix saw its coolest morning in more than four months Monday.
The cooler mornings — and gas prices well above $3 per gallon — have more motorcycle riders taking to Valley freeways. But as we saw Monday with several crashes involving motorcycles, it can a dangerous time of the year for the bikers.
Drivers of cars, trucks and big rigs need to get used to the motorcycles again after a long summer when fewer of them were on the roadways. Phillip McKee with Buddy Stubbs Harley-Davidson in Phoenix said there’s a lot riders can do to make themselves more visible.
“Clothing, lighting and sound,” he said. “Believe it or not, a lot of people hear the motorcycles loud exhaust systems and sometimes that allows riders to be heard before they’re seen.”
We’re all vulnerable to drivers who are busy texting and motorcyclists are no exception. The same applies to tailgaters.
“A lot of times I see a car following a motorcycle very closely,” said McKee. “You’d think they would give the same space as they do with a car but that’s not always the case.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon