PHOENIX — Fall is here and Phoenix saw its coolest morning in more than four months Monday.
The cooler mornings — and gas prices well above $3 per gallon — have more motorcycle riders taking to Valley freeways. But as we saw Monday with several crashes involving motorcycles, it can a dangerous time of the year for the bikers.
Drivers of cars, trucks and big rigs need to get used to the motorcycles again after a long summer when fewer of them were on the roadways. Phillip McKee with Buddy Stubbs Harley-Davidson in Phoenix said there’s a lot riders can do to make themselves more visible.
“Clothing, lighting and sound,” he said. “Believe it or not, a lot of people hear the motorcycles loud exhaust systems and sometimes that allows riders to be heard before they’re seen.”
We’re all vulnerable to drivers who are busy texting and motorcyclists are no exception. The same applies to tailgaters.
“A lot of times I see a car following a motorcycle very closely,” said McKee. “You’d think they would give the same space as they do with a car but that’s not always the case.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments