PHOENIX — Mayor Greg Stanton, freshly returned from the World Economic Forum in China, said there are huge economic possibilities between the Valley and China.
Stanton was the only American mayor invited to the forum entitled The Annual Meeting of the New Champions. He met with almost two dozen international executives and his take away is that Phoenix needs to lead the way in the international economy.
“We have to get the fundamentals right,” he said. “We have to improve the education system and get more people graduating college in science, engineering, technology and math to create companies here that will be providing jobs and services the rest of the world wants. You have to be a leader in innovation. As a city, you can’t rest on your laurels. As a city, I would argue that we only have a few laurels to rest on. We’re just beginning this effort to really make sure people know that Phoenix is an international city.”
Stanton pointed out that China and other international players have a great deal to offer Phoenix and we have much to offer them.
Barry Broome, the president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, said they came away from the forum in China with three business leads for expansion or relocation to the Valley.
They can’t disclose the names of those companies because of confidentiality reasons.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.