PHOENIX — Mayor Greg Stanton, freshly returned from the World Economic Forum in China, said there are huge economic possibilities between the Valley and China.
Stanton was the only American mayor invited to the forum entitled The Annual Meeting of the New Champions. He met with almost two dozen international executives and his take away is that Phoenix needs to lead the way in the international economy.
“We have to get the fundamentals right,” he said. “We have to improve the education system and get more people graduating college in science, engineering, technology and math to create companies here that will be providing jobs and services the rest of the world wants. You have to be a leader in innovation. As a city, you can’t rest on your laurels. As a city, I would argue that we only have a few laurels to rest on. We’re just beginning this effort to really make sure people know that Phoenix is an international city.”
Stanton pointed out that China and other international players have a great deal to offer Phoenix and we have much to offer them.
Barry Broome, the president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, said they came away from the forum in China with three business leads for expansion or relocation to the Valley.
They can’t disclose the names of those companies because of confidentiality reasons.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain