PHOENIX — Mayor Greg Stanton, freshly returned from the World Economic Forum in China, said there are huge economic possibilities between the Valley and China.
Stanton was the only American mayor invited to the forum entitled The Annual Meeting of the New Champions. He met with almost two dozen international executives and his take away is that Phoenix needs to lead the way in the international economy.
“We have to get the fundamentals right,” he said. “We have to improve the education system and get more people graduating college in science, engineering, technology and math to create companies here that will be providing jobs and services the rest of the world wants. You have to be a leader in innovation. As a city, you can’t rest on your laurels. As a city, I would argue that we only have a few laurels to rest on. We’re just beginning this effort to really make sure people know that Phoenix is an international city.”
Stanton pointed out that China and other international players have a great deal to offer Phoenix and we have much to offer them.
Barry Broome, the president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, said they came away from the forum in China with three business leads for expansion or relocation to the Valley.
They can’t disclose the names of those companies because of confidentiality reasons.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon