PHOENIX — After it was reported that an Arizonan was part of a terrorist group holding hostages at a Kenyan mall, Sen. John McCain said that the United States should be concerned about the impact radical Islam could have on its citizens.
“We are worried about Americans who may be influenced by this radical Islam and I think it’s a concern,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Monday.
The group that attacked the mall, al-Shabaab, claimed several Americans were part of the jihadist attack. The group has ties to al-Qaida.
McCain said that Americans were given a false sense of security in regards to al-Qaida over the past few years.
“I think it was a mistake to tell the American people, basically after we got bin Laden, that our problems were over,” he said. “Obviously we know that’s not the case.”
McCain said groups like al-Shabaab are a growing concern for the U.S. After numerous American attacks, al-Qaida, once a centrally-based terrorist group, lost numerous leaders and was forced to spread all over the world.
“We have to worry that these organizations are spread all over at least a significant part of the world,” he said.
McCain also said that radical Islam will stick with the U.S. for years because of unrest around the world. When thousands upon thousands of people are forced into resettlement or refugee camps, many look for a way out. One of those ways can be terrorism.
“The socioeconomic conditions are such that it’s a breeding ground for radical Islam and I think it’s going to be with us for a long, long time,” he said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food