PHOENIX — After it was reported that an Arizonan was part of a terrorist group holding hostages at a Kenyan mall, Sen. John McCain said that the United States should be concerned about the impact radical Islam could have on its citizens.
“We are worried about Americans who may be influenced by this radical Islam and I think it’s a concern,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Monday.
The group that attacked the mall, al-Shabaab, claimed several Americans were part of the jihadist attack. The group has ties to al-Qaida.
McCain said that Americans were given a false sense of security in regards to al-Qaida over the past few years.
“I think it was a mistake to tell the American people, basically after we got bin Laden, that our problems were over,” he said. “Obviously we know that’s not the case.”
McCain said groups like al-Shabaab are a growing concern for the U.S. After numerous American attacks, al-Qaida, once a centrally-based terrorist group, lost numerous leaders and was forced to spread all over the world.
“We have to worry that these organizations are spread all over at least a significant part of the world,” he said.
McCain also said that radical Islam will stick with the U.S. for years because of unrest around the world. When thousands upon thousands of people are forced into resettlement or refugee camps, many look for a way out. One of those ways can be terrorism.
“The socioeconomic conditions are such that it’s a breeding ground for radical Islam and I think it’s going to be with us for a long, long time,” he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier