PHOENIX — It’s been said, “Its not the school that counts, but the spirit of the students that matters.”
Those words were echoed by Scottsdale High School Principal Evelyn Casky in 1982, when the campus was sitting on prime real estate at Indian School Road and Civic Center Drive.
“The district decided they needed to close one of the high schools,” said Dawn Trocano-Clifford, a junior in 1982. She said she had no idea at the time her school was about to fall prey to a bad land deal.
“The original spot where they were going to put the Galleria (mall) and then they moved it and the lots sat empty for quite a while and it was a big fiasco.”
The seniors of 1983 became the school’s last graduating class, but Trocano said the spirit lives on.
“There’s just something about that particular old town feel you don’t get if you got to north Scottsdale or Phoenix.”
A week from Friday, the class of ’83 celebrates 30 years since the doors closed at Scottsdale High. Reunion information can be found here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food