PHOENIX — Arizona is home to telescopes at Kitt Peak south of Tucson and Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff and now northern Arizona is a finalist to be home for a 40- telescope array.
Meteor Crater and an area south of Seligman are potential sites for the $100 million Cherenkov Telescope Array project, said Jeff Hall, director of Lowell Observatory.
Mexico and the Canary Islands are also in the running.
Hall said the telescope array would trace some of the highest energy events in the universe.
“The conditions at the center of active galaxies and the structure of dark matter,” he said.
The final decision on the telescope project is expected by the first of the year, Hall said. “This array has been identified by the U.S. astronomy community as one of the priority projects for the next 10 years.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development