PHOENIX — Arizona is home to telescopes at Kitt Peak south of Tucson and Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff and now northern Arizona is a finalist to be home for a 40- telescope array.
Meteor Crater and an area south of Seligman are potential sites for the $100 million Cherenkov Telescope Array project, said Jeff Hall, director of Lowell Observatory.
Mexico and the Canary Islands are also in the running.
Hall said the telescope array would trace some of the highest energy events in the universe.
“The conditions at the center of active galaxies and the structure of dark matter,” he said.
The final decision on the telescope project is expected by the first of the year, Hall said. “This array has been identified by the U.S. astronomy community as one of the priority projects for the next 10 years.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments