PHOENIX — A DPS officer was hospitalized after being shot during a traffic stop.
Agency spokesman Carrick Cook told 3TV the officer was shot multiple times after he pulled over a driver south of Payson just after 10 p.m. Saturday night.
The suspect took off and the officer managed to drive himself to the hospital. Cook says the officer was then airlifted to a Phoenix hospital to undergo surgery. He is expected to recover.
Cook says the suspect took off and sped by another officer who followed him. Other law enforcement officials got involved and the chase lasted for about 40 miles before Cook says the suspect pulled into a field and exchanged gunfire with officer. Detectives found the unidentified suspect dead from what they believe to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
DPS will provide further updates Sunday.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths