PHOENIX — A DPS officer was hospitalized after being shot during a traffic stop.
Agency spokesman Carrick Cook told 3TV the officer was shot multiple times after he pulled over a driver south of Payson just after 10 p.m. Saturday night.
The suspect took off and the officer managed to drive himself to the hospital. Cook says the officer was then airlifted to a Phoenix hospital to undergo surgery. He is expected to recover.
Cook says the suspect took off and sped by another officer who followed him. Other law enforcement officials got involved and the chase lasted for about 40 miles before Cook says the suspect pulled into a field and exchanged gunfire with officer. Detectives found the unidentified suspect dead from what they believe to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
DPS will provide further updates Sunday.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon