PHOENIX — About a dozen downtown Phoenix parking spaces near First Avenue and Washington were taken over by people, puppies and zombies on this Worldwide PARK(ing) Day to show the spots can be more than just quarter-consuming pavement.
Stacey Champion organized the event, which ran from 7-10 a.m.
Champion says the event is pro-people and not anti-car.
“We’re renting the public space,” she explained. We’ve turned the spaces into parks. We have beanbag toss, chess, a zombie park and a poetry park.”
Robert Chacon with We-Cycle-USA has a shop at First Avenue and Lincoln and refurbishes used bikes for kids and the homeless.
“It’s about showing that the parking space could be used for better purposes like bike parking or a park,” Chacon said. “One little space can do more than park a car.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.