Some majors just aren’t practical, the researcher claimed, and students should do the research to know which majors will land them in stable, well-paying jobs.
But a follow-up report by NPR’s Lisa Chow added some nuance to the discussion. Chow contextualized the data, showing that many women (and men, for that matter) were consciously choosing to seek out professions that didn’t pay as much, but have a higher rate of job satisfaction.
Is that reasonable? What should be looked for in a new job? Is there truly more to a career than median pay?
While compiling a list of the most underrated, and overrated, jobs in America, CareerCast.com decided to factor in some of the intangible elements of a career. Sure, a healthy median salary is desirable, but so is the potential for career growth.
By combining information from their 2013 Jobs Rated report, which measured both the physical and emotional components of any given career, and income data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, CareerCast distinguished 24 career paths that are either overlooked or overexposed.
Of course, jobs analysis such as this — even with the help of data — is ultimately subjective, as CareerCast is quick to point out on their website.
Nevertheless, such a list can prove to be very helpful for those looking for a career path that serves more than just their financial needs.
JJ Feinauer is a graduate of Southern Virginia University and a content writer for the Moneywise page on DeseretNews.com. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @jjfeinauer.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development