Some majors just aren’t practical, the researcher claimed, and students should do the research to know which majors will land them in stable, well-paying jobs.
But a follow-up report by NPR’s Lisa Chow added some nuance to the discussion. Chow contextualized the data, showing that many women (and men, for that matter) were consciously choosing to seek out professions that didn’t pay as much, but have a higher rate of job satisfaction.
Is that reasonable? What should be looked for in a new job? Is there truly more to a career than median pay?
While compiling a list of the most underrated, and overrated, jobs in America, CareerCast.com decided to factor in some of the intangible elements of a career. Sure, a healthy median salary is desirable, but so is the potential for career growth.
By combining information from their 2013 Jobs Rated report, which measured both the physical and emotional components of any given career, and income data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, CareerCast distinguished 24 career paths that are either overlooked or overexposed.
Of course, jobs analysis such as this — even with the help of data — is ultimately subjective, as CareerCast is quick to point out on their website.
Nevertheless, such a list can prove to be very helpful for those looking for a career path that serves more than just their financial needs.
JJ Feinauer is a graduate of Southern Virginia University and a content writer for the Moneywise page on DeseretNews.com. Email: email@example.com, Twitter: @jjfeinauer.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them