SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Students at Notre Dame High School are giving back.
Promise Packs are backpacks filled with school supplies, basic hygiene items and a mosquito-repelling blanket. The students will also write a note of encouragement to their peers in the AIDS-affected country.
Golf Fore Africa was founded and is primarily funded by Valley local and LPGA Hall of Famer Betsy King.
Notre Dame junior and aspiring golfer, Riley Corona, volunteered to help Golf Fore Africa six years ago. She said the program has helped her learn not to take life’s simple gifts for granted.
“They actually have to walk, like, seven miles to get water, so for someone to be in charge of that at my age, I think that is pretty cool,” Corona said.
It was no surprise to many when King asked Corona and her classmates at Notre Dame to help fill 1,800 backpacks this Saturday. A truck carrying the supplies and backpacks arrive today and the school will need all hands on deck to help fill each one for delivery later in January.
“I find it so fascinating that we are able to help people a whole continent away,” Corona said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them