SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Students at Notre Dame High School are giving back.
Promise Packs are backpacks filled with school supplies, basic hygiene items and a mosquito-repelling blanket. The students will also write a note of encouragement to their peers in the AIDS-affected country.
Golf Fore Africa was founded and is primarily funded by Valley local and LPGA Hall of Famer Betsy King.
Notre Dame junior and aspiring golfer, Riley Corona, volunteered to help Golf Fore Africa six years ago. She said the program has helped her learn not to take life’s simple gifts for granted.
“They actually have to walk, like, seven miles to get water, so for someone to be in charge of that at my age, I think that is pretty cool,” Corona said.
It was no surprise to many when King asked Corona and her classmates at Notre Dame to help fill 1,800 backpacks this Saturday. A truck carrying the supplies and backpacks arrive today and the school will need all hands on deck to help fill each one for delivery later in January.
“I find it so fascinating that we are able to help people a whole continent away,” Corona said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns