This is the story YOU wanted us to talk about as voted on by YOU! It received 40 percent of the vote. Remember to vote in our daily Radioactive poll so we talk about the things YOU care about most!
PHOENIX — The family of a man shot and killed by a former Phoenix police officer is reportedly suing his former partner and the city of Phoenix for $30 million.
Richard Chrisman was found guilty of aggravated assault Tuesday in the shooting death of 29-year-old Daniel Rodriguez.
According to ABC15.com, Rodriguez’s family is now suing Chrisman’s former partner for failing to intervene.
The suit claims, “Officer [Sergio] Virgillo has an opportunity to intervene and stop Officer Chrisman from using excessive force against Daniel and failed to do so.”
Virgillo testified that he saw no justifiable reason for Chrisman to use deadly force.
Attorney Monica Lindstrom told News/Talk 9.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Thursday the suit did not surprise her at all.
“As soon as I had heard about the case, I knew that the family, the survivors would likely file a lawsuit against the city of Phoenix at a minimum because it was one of their officers that caused the death of their son,” she said. “That was kind of a no-brainer that that would happen.”
Lindstrom said Virgillo did not do what he was supposed to do: protect Rodriguez.
“He was supposed to keep him safe and he didn’t do that, whether it was faulty training or he just wasn’t doing his job correctly,” she said.
Lindstrom said the $30 million lawsuit was filed against Virgillo as “an officer and a person,” meaning that both he and the city of Phoenix would be held liable for payments if Virgillo is found guilty.
The suit is seeking both financial compensation and punitive damages.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona