This is the story YOU wanted us to talk about as voted on by YOU! It received 40 percent of the vote. Remember to vote in our daily Radioactive poll so we talk about the things YOU care about most!
PHOENIX — The family of a man shot and killed by a former Phoenix police officer is reportedly suing his former partner and the city of Phoenix for $30 million.
Richard Chrisman was found guilty of aggravated assault Tuesday in the shooting death of 29-year-old Daniel Rodriguez.
According to ABC15.com, Rodriguez’s family is now suing Chrisman’s former partner for failing to intervene.
The suit claims, “Officer [Sergio] Virgillo has an opportunity to intervene and stop Officer Chrisman from using excessive force against Daniel and failed to do so.”
Virgillo testified that he saw no justifiable reason for Chrisman to use deadly force.
Attorney Monica Lindstrom told News/Talk 9.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Thursday the suit did not surprise her at all.
“As soon as I had heard about the case, I knew that the family, the survivors would likely file a lawsuit against the city of Phoenix at a minimum because it was one of their officers that caused the death of their son,” she said. “That was kind of a no-brainer that that would happen.”
Lindstrom said Virgillo did not do what he was supposed to do: protect Rodriguez.
“He was supposed to keep him safe and he didn’t do that, whether it was faulty training or he just wasn’t doing his job correctly,” she said.
Lindstrom said the $30 million lawsuit was filed against Virgillo as “an officer and a person,” meaning that both he and the city of Phoenix would be held liable for payments if Virgillo is found guilty.
The suit is seeking both financial compensation and punitive damages.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident