PHOENIX — Arizonans were asked to take a pledge on Thursday during a nationwide campaign designed to stamp out texting and driving.
AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile and more than 200 other organizations have joined a movement called “It Can Wait,” which is asking everyone to pledge not to text while driving.
Arizona Diamondbacks fans heading into Chase Field stopped by the “It Can Wait” exhibit Thursday. They were able to get an autograph from former Diamondback Luis Gonzalez, then sit at a simulator to see how they would do if texting while driving. When I tried it, I received a text message and looked at the cellphone, then immediately crashed into another car.
But the consequence of texting and driving is no simulations for Basha High School teacher Amy Keifer Barard. A year ago, she was hit by a driver who was texting and suffered three skull fractures. She had to re-learn how to walk, talk and eat. Doctors said she will feel effects from the injuries for the rest of her life.
“My life is changed forever,” she said. “Was his text message so important that he couldn’t wait? I don’t know that his text message changed the life of anyone that he sent it to, but it changed mine forever.”
It bothers her that the man has never apologized for what he did.
According to the National Safety Council, there are more than 100,000 traffic accidents nationwide each year that involve someone who is texting while driving.
There are several ways to take the pledge. One is to text “ICWAZ” to 464-329. You can also pledge online at ItCanWait.com. he first 200 people to pledge get a free “It Can Wait” t-shirt.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food