PHOENIX — Four Valley cities have received Department of Justice money to put more cops on the streets and in the schools.
Phoenix received almost $2 million, enough to pay for 15 School Resource Officers. Phoenix Councilman Daniel Valenzuela led the effort to bring in the federal dollars.
“These officers will help keep our children safe and that’s an additional opportunity to keep our families safe,” Valenzuela said.
Phoenix received an additional $50,000 from the DOJ to target the resale of stolen goods.
Glendale was granted $1.2 million and Jay O’Neil with Glendale Police says that will put 10 new officers on the streets.
“This will help public safety in Glendale,” O’Neil explained. “The economy didn’t allow us to fill open positions and this will allow us to increase our authorized strength.”
City of Maricopa and Peoria Police received $375,000 apiece and each will hire three new officers.
Other cities throughout the state also benefited from the DOJ. Clarkdale received $125,000 for one new officer. The Tohono O’Odham Nation Police will hire three new officers with their portion of $375,000, and Yuma received $1 million, allowing for eight new officers.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them